Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
CCAS is pleased to offer Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships, funded by a Title VI grant from the Department of Education, for the study of Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish.
FLAS fellowships aim to provide training in these languages in order to meet the national need for specialists on the MENA region. Successful applicants should demonstrate a long-term interest in the region and show potential for superior academic achievement based on academic record.
Fellowship Types and Amounts:
- Academic Year (Undergraduate): $10,000 for tuition + $5,000 stipend
- Academic Year (Graduate): $18,000 for tuition + $20,000 stipend
- Summer (Undergraduate and Graduate): $5,000 for tuition + $2500 stipend
Applicants must be:
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Enrolled full-time
- At the intermediate level of a MENA FLAS language by the start of the fellowship period
Applications are due March 1, 2023 for both Summer 2023 and Academic Year FLAS.
The FLAS selection committee considers both merit and financial need in the selection process. Undergraduate students are required to demonstrate financial need. Applicants must have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be eligible for FLAS.
ACADEMIC YEAR FLAS FELLOWSHIPS
The academic year competition is open to current Georgetown students only.
FLAS awards may be awarded to students for the study of intermediate, advanced, and post-advanced Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish. Graduate students who have advanced proficiency in a MENA language may apply for a FLAS to study another MENA language at the beginner level.
FLAS Fellows must take a MENA area studies and a language course each semester of the fellowship.
SUMMER FLAS FELLOWSHIPS
The summer FLAS competition is open to both Georgetown and non-Georgetown students. Students must be full-time students who are continuing in the fall to be eligible for FLAS.
Summer FLAS Fellowships allow full-time undergraduate and graduate students to complete the equivalent of one academic year of Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish during the summer.
The FLAS Fellowship may be used for domestic or international study. Programs should be a minimum of six weeks long and should include 140 contact hours for students at the intermediate level and 120 contact hours for students at the advanced level.
The FLAS Fellowship provides up to $5,000 in tuition and fees and a $2,500 stipend for the summer. Please note that the $5,000 award can only be used to cover tuition and related fees, such as textbooks. It cannot be used to cover transportation, accommodation, or meals.
SUMMER 2023 AND AY 2023-2024 APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
1) Submit the online application form, which asks for:
- Biographical and language information
- Financial aid information
- Proposed summer program information (if applying for summer FLAS)
- Names of 2 recommenders who will be contacted if you are selected as a finalist. At least one should be an instructor in the language for which you are applying.
2) Attach the following materials to the application:
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume or C.V.
- Unofficial Transcripts
The Summer 2023 and AY 2023-24 FLAS Fellowship deadline is March 1, 2023 at 11:59pm. APPLY NOW.
For more information about FLAS, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
For inquiries about FLAS, please email us at MENAFLAS@georgetown.edu.